In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Maritime Museum

Maine Maritime Museum Facts

Percy and Small Shipyard, Bath, 1902
Percy and Small Shipyard, Bath, 1902

Item Contributed by
Maine Historical Society

Hours
Open from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day
except Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, and Thanksgiving

What to See

  • Ten acres of galleries and exhibits on 25 acres of scenic waterfront
  • Five original 19th century shipyard buildings
  • Wyoming: life-size sculpture of the largest wooden sailing vessel ever built
  • Late Victorian-era home of a prominent Bath family (seasonal)
  • Hands-on activities and river cruises (seasonal)

Research
The Museum’s Library is available for use on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., or by appointment, to research Maine-related vessels, people, maritime businesses, ports, or nautical artifacts.

There is no charge for Museum Members, students, representatives of the press, and other museums and historical societies; all others are required to pay general admission. Call 207-443-1316, ext. 336 or e-mail: library@maritimeme.org to make an appointment.

History and Facilities
In 1962 seven residents of Bath, Maine formed the Marine Research Society of Bath which did business for years as the Bath Marine Museum.

In 1975, the name was officially changed to Maine Maritime Museum.

The Museum's properties include the Percy & Small Shipyard, the only intact shipyard in the in the U.S. that built large wooden sailing vessels, the Donnell House, The Leon L. Bean Building that houses the Lobstering Exhibit, the Maritime History Building, the Deering Pier, which can accommodate large vessels, and Long Reach Hall, a meeting and dining facility.