In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Maritime Museum

Portland-South Portland bridge, ca. 1890

Contributed by Maine Maritime Museum
MMN Item 25606 Item Details
Portland-South Portland bridge, ca. 1890
MMN Item 25606 Zoom

Description

Originally built in 1822, this bridge allowed easy access between Portland and South Portland across the Fore River.

Until 1851, pedestrians paid two cents and horses six cents to cross the bridge. Military personnel at forts Preble and Williams crossed for free.

The bridge was repaired and rebuilt many times. It was known as the "gridiron of death" because of its dangerous intersection at the Portland end.

It was replaced in 1916 by the "Million Dollar Bridge."

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.